Ah, another first for me. I’ve never done the Thursday thirteen before.
Here we go:
Thirteen Australianisms I love:
1) No worries, y’awright and it’s all good
2) G’day mate
3) Ute (SUV)
4) Daggy tracky dacks (Ugly tracksuit pants). Didn’t have a clue what this meant when I first arrived here.
5) Barby (BBQ)
6) Chrissie (Christmas)
7) Duuhlin’ (Darling – can be used when refering to a woman or child, in place of mate.)
8) Macca’s (MacDonalds)
9) The affectionate “O” at the end of a name. (eg, garbos/garbage collectors; ambos/ambulance drivers or paramedics; Danno/Daniel)
10) Dacking (The term assigned to the act of pulling down someone’s pants.)
11) Marone (Spelled maroon, pronounced marone)
12) Arvo (afternoon)
13) Sickie (Sick day)
These are just a few. If I sat down and really thought about it, I could come up with hundreds more. Ah, you gotta love Australia!