It’s hard not to mention Valerie’s name and not smile. She is the sweetest, nicest, most lovely person I know. It’s that simple.
Oh, and she creates absolutely stunning covers. What? You don’t believe me?
Check out her newest creation, made specially for me:
I know! It is utterly gorgeous. When I received it, I loved V just a little more.
I’ve taken the time to interview Valerie.
So read on to discover more about her.
1) How did you get into designing cover art for romance books?
Actually, it was something that happened at my day job that prompted the thought. They had let the marketing person go, and they needed someone with Photoshop skills to make some ads. I whipped up a couple of ads that they liked and thought to myself, why can’t I do this outside my day job? I’d been reading e-books for a while and thought, I should try my hand at this. I started small, I made some signature banners, and some other lady that won’t be mentioned, encouraged me to make the leap. Anne Rainey was a big help too. She let me make a cover for a freebie she was offering on her website. I then sent out a query to a publisher and offered to do one for free if they’d just give me a shot. They did, and the rest is cover art history.
2) To date, how many covers have you designed?
I think I’ve lost count. But over 100.
3) Which publishers do you design for?
Currently, Ellora’s Cave, Samhain, Loose-ID, Aspen Mountain, Lyrical Press, and Pink Petal/Jupiter Gardens.
4) Which is your favorite cover?
Wow, that’s like picking your favorite child… Hmmm… If I had to choose – from a technical standpoint, it would be As Timeless as Stone. It has the most elements and it took the longest to create. For sentimental reasons, I love the two covers I got to create for you. Boys Down Under and Visiting Paradise.
5) So, you and Joy have a new venture. Tell us about it.
Joy and I started Author Design Services (www.authordesignservices.com) as a way to help new authors, or really anyone, who needed a new website. We’re not a big design firm, but we wanted to give authors a chance at a decent starter site for a good price.
6) What would you rather eat: A a fillet steak, grilled to perfection, with steamed veggies and french fries, or a huge bowl of ice cream, assorted flavors, covered in whipped cream?
Can’t I have both? But if I had to choose, I’d pick the steak.
7) What would you rather wear in public: A bikini or a straight jacket?
A straight jacket. Refer to comment 6. You really don’t want to see this bod in a bikini. Seriously.
8) You’re about to indulge in a naughty menage. Just the three of you. Who’s with you? (And yes, you have to say.)
Christan Kane (Elliot from Leverage *drool*) and Clive Owen. *more drooling*
BTW – It’s V’s Birthday on the 9th of August, so I’m taking this opportunity to say…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY V!
Check out Valerie’s blogs at International Heat. See’s giving away super prizes.
Also, you can take a look at all of Valerie’s work here.